Yerington, Nevada – On Thursday, August 17, 2023, the Lyon County Board of County Commissioners discussed and approved Lyon County Human Services accept a grant award from the Office of Public Health Infrastructure and Improvement for the Fiscal Year 2024 in the amount of $106,169.23 to develop a feasibility study regarding the creation of a regional health district for the quad-county (Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, and Storey Counties) region of Nevada. Currently, Lyon County pays the State of Nevada to provide community health nursing and environmental health services through an assessment process defined in NRS 439.4905. In addition, Carson City Health and Human Services provides regional services to Lyon County such as quad-county public health preparedness and epidemiology through a delegation of authority from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services.
Nevada is experiencing a trend toward more locally-driven health services with the newly formed Central Nevada Health District (Churchill, Eureka, Mineral, Pershing Counties and the City of Fallon) assuming public health services from the State of Nevada as of July 1, 2023. By accepting the grant for the feasibility study, Lyon County Human Services will utilize a contract agency to conduct community surveys and interviews with key stakeholders to determine the model that best meets the needs for Lyon County residents.
Lyon County Fair and Rodeo
County Manager Andrew Haskin encouraged the community to participate in the Lyon County Fair and Rodeo this weekend August 17-20, 2023. Additional event details can be found on the Lyon County website.
Lyon County Sheriff’s Office Activities
On behalf of Sheriff Pope, Chief Deputy Mitch Brantingham updated the Board of County Commissioners on the following Sheriff’s Office activities:
- The Sheriff’s Office is hosting a Back to School backpack event on August 26, 2023. Backpacks will be available at the following locations from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM:
o Yerington: 911 Harvey Way, Yerington, NV
o Fernley: 555 E. Main Street, Fernley, NV
o Silver Springs: 2475 Fort Churchill Road, Silver Springs, NV
o Dayton: 801 Overland Loop, Dayton, NV
- Staff will have a booth and be doing outreach at the Lyon County Fair and Rodeo and Dayton Valley Days.
- Lyon County Sheriff’s Office continues to lean forward with traffic saturation patrols and crime suppression initiatives.
County Commission Action Items
The County Commissioners took action on the following items:
- Approved a $17,500 budget transfer from contingency to allow the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office to purchase scheduling software.
- Subject to permit conditions, voted to approve the Outdoor Festival Application for Justin and Katie Bryan dba Mudfest, to be held on September 14-17, 2023 at the Lyon County Fairgrounds, Yerington, Nevada.
- Directed the County Manager to add to the Fiscal Year 24-25 Tentative Budget for one time funding for the National Center for Public Lands Counties in the amount of $41,205.49.
- Approved a grant agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the amount of $353,911 for the Silver Springs Airport to rehabilitate the Runway 06/24 and Taxiway A.
Board of Health
- Lyon County Board of Health met and heard an update on Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) findings from Kristen Clements-Nolle, PhD, University of Nevada, Reno, Professor and Graduate Director, Epidemiology. Dr. Clements-Nolle provided an overview of middle and high school youth mental health trends.
- Health Officer Dr. Robin Titus reported, despite the significant number of mosquitoes, there have been no reported positive West Nile cases in Lyon County so far this year.
For more information, visit our website https://www.lyon-county.org/ and follow our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LyonCountyNV. Residents can view recordings of previous Board of County Commission meetings on the Lyon County YouTube Channel.