August 3, 2023 Board of County Commissioners Meeting Summary
Yerington, Nevada – On Thursday, August 3, 2023, the Lyon County Board of County Commissioners voted to continue an agenda item discussing a resolution requesting the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to reduce the speed limit from 60 to 45 miles per hour on Highway 50 in Dayton from Fortune Drive to La Fond Avenue. An NDOT representative reported during Thursday’s meeting that the agency aims to present their plan for the Dayton Highway 50 corridor during the September 21, 2023, Board of County Commission meeting. The Board voted to continue the discussion to their October 5th Board of County Commissioners meeting to allow Commissioners to respond to NDOT’s proposed plan and seek additional feedback from the County’s Citizen Advisory Boards.
Lyon County Fair Board Secretary Lisa Tibbals presented on improvements made to the Lyon County Fairgrounds utilizing American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding. The community can preview improvements to the fairgrounds, including new rodeo chutes and asphalt paving, during the Lyon County Fair and Rodeo August 17-20, 2023. Additional event details can be found on the Lyon County website.
The County Commissioners took action on the following items:
- Acknowledged Shawn Keating’s resignation from the Planning Commission. Applications to be on the Planning Commission are being accepted at the County Manager’s Office and will be placed on the September 9th Board Meeting. Staff requested to receive them by August 28th.
- Unanimously approved a request for a major variance to allow an accessory building to be located less than one-hundred (100) feet from an adjacent road on a 40.89 parcel in Hoye Canyon Road.
- Denied a request to amend the Master Plan designation on a 21.60-acre parcel generally located to the northeast of the intersection of Madison Way and Artesia Road at 60 Artesia Road in Smith Valley (APN 010-081-43) PLZ-2030-020. The motion to deny the Master Plan amendment was made by Commissioner Henderson and was passed by a majority with three in favor (Henderson, Hockaday, Jacobson) and two opposed (Keller, Hendrix).
- Approved a letter of support for the Lyon County Utilities Department to submit grant applications for water and sewer projects to the Nevada Water Conservation and Infrastructure Initiative through the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Lyon County Utilities Director David Bruketta reported the department was recently notified of approximately $100 million dollars American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding available for water and wastewater infrastructure projects. Lyon County Utilities plans to submit 5 applications totaling just under $9 million for improvements that will support repairing a water line in Dayton near the wastewater treatment plant and to pursue backup generators for water infrastructure.
- Approved a Resolution terminating a Declaration of Emergency declared by Resolution 23-15 for recent spring thaw flooding.
- Appointed Ronnie Wyman to the Dayton Regional Advisory Board with a term expiring December 31, 2023.
For more information, visit our website https://www.lyon-county.org/ and follow our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LyonCountyNV. Residents can view recordings of previous Board of County Commission meetings on the Lyon County YouTube Channel.