On July 7, 2022 the Board of County Commissioners passed an ordinance addressing self-storage and recreational vehicle storage facilities. The ordinance amended Lyon County Code 15.335.03 by requiring:
- All self-storage buildings shall be permanent structures built or assembled on-site.
- The perimeter of the facility shall be screened by a solid masonry wall in the Community Commercial, Neighborhood Commercial, Regional Commercial, Commercial Mixed Use, Highway Corridor Mixed-Use, Employment Mixed Use, and Service Industrial zoning districts.
- Light and heavy industrial zoning districts require a minimum six-foot (6′) high perimeter fence. Portions of the fence, which are adjacent to residential zoning districts or which face arterial streets, residential streets, and state highways, must be a solid masonry wall.
- A minimum of ten-foot-wide landscape buffer shall be provided along the entire side of the facility between any street or highway and the required wall. The landscaping shall include screening trees as required by chapter 402.
- All storage shall be within an enclosed building except for the storage of recreational vehicles.
- The surface of the area to be used for outdoor storage shall be paved with a non-permeable material such as asphalt or concrete or, in the case of the storage of heavy equipment, covered with material acceptable to the administrator, which will control fugitive dust.
- No outside storage other than the storage of RVs, boats, and other items specifically approved via a Conditional Use Permit, is permitted in The Neighborhood Commercial, Community Commercial, Regional Commercial, Commercial Mixed-Use, Highway Mixed-Use, Service Industrial, or Employment Mixed-Use Districts.
The hearing on July 7, 2022, was the second hearing on the issue. The Board had requested amendments to the proposed ordinance at the first hearing in June. A copy of the ordinance and board-requested changes can be found at:https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1435277/Final_Self_Storage_Ordinance.pdf